Monday, April 19, 2010

My sister came to visit!!

My sister Sarah came to visit me last week for 3 1/2 great days!  We got to do some sight seeing, some catching up (I hadn't seen her since 2 Christmases ago) and lots of laughing, since Sarah is funniest one in our family. 


We went to the Science and Industry Museum... where we bought matching shirts!  The shirt says Pluto: 1930-2006.  Revolve in Peace.  Get it?!  hahaha.  I also ordered a math T-shirt, but you'll have to wait in eager anticipation for that one.

The museum had a whole agriculture section.  This display talked about uses for manure.  The pile shows city kids how much a cow can poop in one day.  Notice the floor.... 2 days of poop... 3 days of poop....   I'm not sure this is the best recruitment strategy for luring people into agriculture!

Sarah bought some dehydrated astronaut ice cream.  It was terrible.  Just in case you have the itch to try out being an astronaut you should maybe taste this first. 
We ate some Chicago-style-deep-dish pizza.  I don't actually love it (and you know I love me some pizza) cuz it's kinda cassarole-ish.
Sarah and I took a guided tour of downtown on a bus (with fur!) where you can sit outside on top.  It was like 75 degrees and the perfect day to walk around downtown.  We got off at Millenium Park, Navy Pier, the Chicago Cultural Center, and Water Tower Place.  Sarah tried on some shoe inserts at Water Tower place and the person was like "There is DIRT in your shoe?!!?"  It was only like a tablespoon's worth, but I suppose people who walk around downtown all the time don't really have much opportunity to get dirt in their shoes.
This is a sculpture in Millenium Park called "the bean".  You can see yourself and the skyline in its reflection.
These flowers were out downtown.  Last weekend I went to an urban youth workers conference and one of the presenters said "It's not very many flowers in my neighborhood.  So whenever I am at the grocery store I try to make sure I stop and smell the flowers."
Sarah thought it was funny/sad that this dog's whole yard is made out of concrete.  Poor guy.
This building is called Merchandise Mart - it's so big it has its OWN ZIP CODE!  I learned this on the tour... it was really interesting, if you come to visit me I volunteer to go on the tour again with you!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your blog and your pictures! I'm So
    Proud of you. Much love--JoAnn MacRae

    ReplyDelete