Monday, April 19, 2010

City Lesson #83: Grocery Carts

So I really try to appear like I know what I'm doing.  (Who doesn't?) 

Well, what had happened was.... the other day I was at the Burlington, and since I was alreay out I decided to go into a couple of other stores.  I went into the grocery store thinking I was just gonna grab a couple of things, but then cases of water were on sale.  And you know how it goes when you go into the grocery store listless....

So, when I came out I had my cart with $50 of groceries and 3 cases of water.  But my car was about 12 rows down in front of the first store I had been in.  An annoyance, to be sure, but not quite a crisis.  Except that this store has electronic locks on it's carts.  If you go a certain distance from the store the wheels will lock up - which I can understand.  Nobody wants to buy new carts every week.
I found this picture online to make my post more interesting ... my store doesn't have any warnings like this. Just so happened I was trying to cross from the sidewalk in front of the store to the rows of cars when my cart locked up.  I couldn't even drag it back toward the store!  People were honking and trying to get past me.... so much for pretending I know what I'm doing in the city!

I was trying to find some kids I could pay $1 to help me carry my stuff to the car.... or a stranger who wanted to stand with my cart (in traffic) while I went to get my car... Then I saw one of the store employees standing outside on break who had already been watching me and was smirking.  I told him I had no idea my cart would freeze up and could he please stand with my stuff while I went to get my car?  

You know how people look when they want to roll their eyes but they can't because they work for the store?  Yeah.  But he sauntered over and stood with my cart - and even helped me load my stuff into my trunk while I blocked traffic.  

So much for prentending like I know what I'm doing! :-)

1 comment: