Friday, May 30, 2008

Last Day at Head Start

So, it's hard to believe that today was the last day of Head Start! It's kinda surreal that I won't see the kids again and that I can go to bed and get up like a normal person . . . It's definitely bittersweet and I was surprised that I cried today. I feel so, well, disappointed. So many things just didn't get any better and it's hard not to end the year a little bitter. On the other hand, it was an AMAZING year with my kids and co-teacher, Katy. This is a picture of us today. . . We learned a lot together and grew a lot from this year. . . This is a picture of Olivia, beautiful! Tonight we were invited to dinner at a student's restaraunt and it was nice just to be with the family. What wonderful hopsitality and acceptance we felt from that family! Things I've learned from Head Start:

1. The relationship you build with the parents/family goes a long way with the impact you can have with the child.

2. How to file.

3. One phone call home about how spectacular the child is doing will give you the freedom to make a phone call home about how the child is struggling without parents becoming defensive.

4. You really can separate from your personal life (and even the drama in the office) while the kids are there. DO IT!

5. Planning is not actually as important as flexibility.

6. God always brings people who love and support you.

7. Stay true to who you are - we compromise because it is comfortable, but really, it's not worth it.

5 comments:

  1. I've noticed and liked how you've changed your font color with each successive post. ;) Good good.

    I've felt some sympathy sadness for you re: your last day at Head Start. It was just a year ago for me...Its the first "last day celebration" I haven't been to in six years! It is good to work there, and then its good to move on eventually too. That place will miss you, trust me. So will we!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just trying to see if posting works

    ReplyDelete
  3. well shoot... i sure would like to see what you wrote when i comment! this blog thing is confusing! but funny! that parking picture is too good. im glad your friend from church taught you. haha. haha. (my two syllable laughter!) this is funny sitting on your computer commenting to you! as you can see, i havent much to say. lets go do somethin you can blog about!
    luurrrv you
    Ilise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Megan, Was nice to see you this am. I told you I would write. Proud of you. Know I am praying for you. I love you Grandma Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan, I am so glad you are there safey and in on piece. Stay focus and always remember I love and you will be in my prayers daily.
    Love
    Ms Dawn

    ReplyDelete