Saturday, June 26, 2010

"I wish I had sent his father to camp too!"

Summer 2010 has gotten off to a great start!  The kids are eager, excited, and busy ... and somehow there are a thousand things to do that no one can quite remember how we did it last year, lol. 
This was Kazmari's (*name changed) first time at Camp Beechpoint.  Each night at fireside we give kids an opportunity to stay behind and talk with a leader.  The fireside lesson includes an invitation to receive Christ, and through the years I've seen God work mightly during this time of stillness.  Something about a camp fire is ... enchanting enough to strip away pretense and distraction.  Hundreds of children have responded to the voice of God sitting around the fireside at Camp Beechpoint.

When Kazmari stayed behind I asked him what he wanted to talk about.  With big tears rolling down his cheeks he said, "I've just never heard about God like this.  I'm starting to think this might be serious."  As we sat I told him the message of God's love for him, of Jesus' sacrifice to pay for his sin, of God's offer of forgiveness to all who believe.  As we talked about sin and forgiveness, Kazmari wept into his hands.  He told me that he was thinking about something really bad that had happened, something too bad to tell me, something that he knew Jesus couldn't forgive.

Sometimes its hard to imagine what our children have seen and the burdens that they bear.  (One child came to camp this week with the pain of 3 family members' drug-related deaths just the week before.)  As I told Kazmari that God is powerful enough to forgive anything, I prayed God would use me to make his love clear.  And as he prayed to God, I prayed - rejoicing in his new faith.  After he prayed I said, "What just happened?" and he said "God forgave me because I believed that he could pay for my sin and I asked him to forgive me.  He said yes to forgiving me because he loves me."  We spent about 20 minutes together after fireside, and he cried the whole time. 

When we told his mother about the decision that Kazmari had made this week she said, "Praise God!  Now I wish I had sent his father to camp too!"  Pray for Kazmari, that he will be a light for God in his family that cannot be ignored.

This summer the boys have been busy playing a game called Kung Fu.  You start like this:
And then everyone assumes their beginning stance, like this:
The point of the game is move in such a way that no other player is able to touch your hands.  Play goes around the circle.  When someone moves to touch your hand you are allowed one defensive move to avoid being touched.  Then you get one offensive move where you try to touch another player.  It's a lot of fun, especially for the boys. :-)

We've been having some some heavy rain and mild flooding (i love thunder!).  Anything that's fun is sure to be even more fun in the water, like this:
Another new addition to camp is our GaGa Pit.  It's Israeli dodgeball, a fast-paced game with any number of players where you are out if the ball touches you below the waist.  Players are only only allowed to hit the ball with their hands, the ball must not go outside of the fence, and you can only touch the ball once without it touching the fence or another player.  It looks something like this:
Or this:
This match is down to the final 2, but matches start with as many as 40 people in the pit together.  And again, anything that much fun is sure to be better in the water:
And one bonus photo:
De'Ja and Justice and Callie

5 comments:

  1. Megan,
    Thanks so much for giving us a glimpse of the incredible way God is using you at Camp Beechpoint this summer. What precious children you have opportunity to interact with, and how much they are seeing of God's love through your ministry. Praying for you and those 130 He sends your way next week.
    Lovin' you,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, So neat to hear about these kids. I really pray for them. Tyra got back from a mini mission in AZ. She is sooooo excited. I am so glad she is a Christian now. Maybe someday she will venture out like you did. Still praying for you. God is really using you in a mighty way. I love you, Granma Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special kid! I cried the whole way through this post. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How powerful is the work you are doing. This is such a sobering post for me - it reminds me of what we are ultimately here to do; change lives for our God. Keep letting God use you Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Megan,

    He is so cute - reminds me of DeAndre. I could only hope if DeAndre was in such pain he would have someone like you to talk to. You are a blessin in all of our lives. We miss you.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete