Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Welcome to My Home!!

I am finally ready to post pictures of my new home! My dad came to visit from Idaho this weekend and we spent part of each day hanging things. We are still not 100% sure what the wall is made out of, but nothing has fallen down yet.

Now, you might want to brace yourself - this post has a ridiculous amount of pictures. But since some of you are not trying to come visit me (you know who you are!) I figure I'd better give you the whole tour. :-)

Every month Aunt Jan (my co-worker in discipleship from camp) comes to the city for the weekend. I was tryna get us to play a game and she was just so insistent that if we washed the windows they'd look better. I'm SUPER THANKFUL we did - they were filthy!
Megan and Wayne

On Saturday Jabari, Jabri, and Jireh came over so that we could play Settlers. It's the best game ever but you need more than 2 people. I've been teaching my kids how to play so I'll have friends in Chicago to play with. Dad and I also went to my Michigan church and for a quick visit to camp on Sunday.


I think this is my favorite wall. I got the letters on sale for 8 dollars - but heads up: they are HARD to apply!
Bedroom: People have been trying to make fun of me because I have a little bed. But after sleeping all summer on a camp bunk I'm here to say that this bed is excellent!
Bedroom: The bathrooms have no counters, so we created a vanity in my bedroom - complete with lights. I spent like 7 hours at IKEA one day (only because I was with a friend who loves to shop!) and we found lots of cool, helpful, and affordable stuff. I was telling dad that "there are 3 great things about the papasan. Well, 4 if you count the fact that it's bright pink!" He laughed and said that he would hold the pink against it, personally.
Dining Room: Can you believe I have an apartment with a dining room?!?!? It was only 10 dollars a month more than the other dining-room-less apartments I looked at. And since I work from home the extra space is especially nice. My dad bought curtains this weekend, which definitely helps the room feel more homey - thanks dad!!!
Dining Room: This is my office. It's proving to be much easier to work from home without roommates. :-) Also, between discipling more kids, hosting retreats and other camp obligations, I've been home a lot less than last year. Moving to the south side has saved me hours and hours of driving time! I love it!
Entryway: (I have an entryway!!!). It's my memorabilia from my mission trips to Brazil and Papua New Guinea.
Bathroom: Not very exciting, I know. But I said I was giving you the whole tour.
Kitchen: This room definitely got the biggest make over! We added that very practical shelf over the stove, took all the doors off the cabinets, and put the microwave up to free up the only counter space. I love efficiency and am very pleased with how it turned out.
Living Room: I had a hard time getting started to match that couch, but we are on our way now! Dad went shopping for a whole afternoon with me to get the curtains and he carried a couch cushion and the smaller wine colored rug into about 6 stores so we could try to find something to match. What a good sport!
Living Room: This is it's like when the curtains are open. I must be God's favorite to get an apartment with this much light (the dining room is just like it). It also has great ceiling lights - not real common in apartments out here. And I am my mother's child - I like light!
Living Room: I have a kid corner ... since I have a lot of kids. It helps to have stuff to keep them busy. Trust and believe that the yellow bookcase is temporary. The idea is to have the kid corner coordinate with the rest of the room.
The view: from the front. I live on a pretty quiet block, close to the expressway, an hour closer to camp, about 20 minutes from most of "my kids", and so far my stuff is still here when I come home. I'm half teasing cuz somebody moved into a neighborhood next to me and all their stuff was gone when they came back the next day. So far I'm enjoying living by myself, although I may recant in a few months.
Tavaris and Tamyra - 2 discipleship kids who've been to the house. So far I've had 7 overnight guests and 17 day guests. I am happy to live close enough to people for them to come over to my house, and happy to have a home to invite them into.

8 comments:

  1. your favorite jess :)November 18, 2009 9:52 PM

    first of all- you know i'm upset my picture isn't on the wall.
    second- someone real smart must have given you the idea of taking off the cupboard door.
    third- that is a great looking table, i wonder where you got it?
    fourth- curtains in the living room look great wtih the couch! i like the ones in the dining room too.
    fifth- hmmm i'm sure there was more but for now i'll just remind you that i love you and i am happy to have been an overnight guest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan...love the new digs, especially the living room with the curtains open. Great light!!! God has truly blessed you. Glad you and dad had a good time. Debbie Uhrich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three things-
    1st i love the idea of a kid corner
    2nd my bathroom doesn't have counter space either so i bought one of those over the toilet things with shelves and its VERY useful
    3rd the fact that aunt jan and you cleaned windows makes me smile :)
    and oh yeah #4 i'm so happy that you are all settled in and i hope i can come visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am impressed with your apartment. What really impresses me is your dad going shoping for curtains. What a neat dad he is. Not many men will go for the shopping bit in the first place. I am glad you are moved in and settled. Praying for you. I love you, Grandma Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off...is Grandma Jan who left a post...really your grandma or is that what you call Aunt Jan (big smile)
    Second...I love your apt!!! So cute! I love the papasan chair...you found it!

    I love the pic taken of your living room..I think THAT'S my favorite spot!

    Hope to see it soon in person!!

    Love you!

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Megan, Thank you for taking such good care of me and for all the memories we created as we worked to make your apt. into your home. I saw Jan Springer today and see requested that I go with her the next time see goes curtain shopping. I hope that I have not started something. Love You, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Megan,

    Just so glad that you found a place to live that is fairly good as far as location and safety. We certainly have prayed for you and are continuing to do so.

    Thank you for all that you do for those kids

    Marcella Bean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pics/apartment look great :)

    also....hahaha without roommates, yeah I'm sure it is easier to work from home without us...probably because we are all easily distracted...haha

    Anyways, i gotta come and visit, sometime in Dec, I will for sure. i'm bringing sean, we have a lot of chicago sightseeing to do. :)

    liz

    ReplyDelete