Tuesday, November 24, 2009

You might be a city red-neck if.....

All of "my" kids are doing so great!  I wanted to post an update on their progress and give you pictures with names so you can pray for them.  These are the kids that I meet with weekly - we do a Bible study together and spend time talking about life.

Kenya is 12, beautiful, and inquisitive.  She is really interested in learning more about God and shows a lot of motivation to complete her lessons.  All of the kids in Partners in Discipleship (PID) complete Bible lessons/memorization on their own during the week and then we discuss what they are learning when we meet.  Kenya asks really good, interesting questions.  I enjoy spending time with her!  She really wants to spend the night at my house, so we'll have to find an excuse for that soon!  Pray for Kenya that she will get along better with her older sister.


I have no idea Jabri is almost 12, affectionate, and likes to talk.  I've been meeting with her and her brother for more than a year now, and I've been able to see growth in Jabri.  She is learning to apply the Bible and values God's Word as the authority for her life.  I get to spend a lot of time with Jabri and I love how comfortable we are together - it really doesn't matter what we do, we just like being with each other.  Pray for Jabri that she will learn to have a right attitude toward those in authority over her.


Jabari is 13, funny, and creative.  He is Jabri's brother, so I get to see a lot of him too!  Jabari is incredibly insightful - he notices a lot of things that everybody else misses.  Whether it's in our Bible study or in his observation of life he pays attention to details and makes lots of connections.  Jabari loves to draw and constantly carries around like 12 pencils - which is funny to me!  Pray for Jabari that he will value education and be self-motivated to work hard at school.

Last week I posted a picture of me with Tavaris and Tamyra.  This is Mr. Derrick, a PID mentor who meets with Tavaris.  Tamyra is 9, loud, and smart.  She really cares about her little brother Tavontay and helps take care of him and make sure he is okay.  She works hard at school and gets good grades.  She likes to talk and eat candy!!  When I first started meeting with her she always acted like she didn't care if I came or not and didn't care if we spent time together.  Now she is super affectionate and always wants to be right next to me.  Pray for Tamyra that she will be obedient at school.  Also, pray that she will trust God with the safety of her brother.  Tavaris has to ride the bus and train by himself for an hour and a half to get to school.  Pray that Tavaris will be safe.

  This is Kenya, Alesia, and Jenae.  Jenae does not do PID, but she makes a lot of effort to include me in her life and enjoys spending time with me.  I've been teaching my kids how to play Settlers.  They are doing great!  Pray for Jenae that she will understand her school work.


This bag came to camp in the mail from Ireland!  Mark is camp's Executive Director and the bag has his last name and our street address - no city, state, or even country!!!!  Can you believe it?  And it's in like a gunny sack.  (Hmmm - do people outside of Idaho use the word gunny sack?  I don't even know what else to call is.  A potato sack?)  I've mailed some interesting things without a box: a hula hoop, an inflated beach ball, a cookie sheet postcard .... but even then I needed an address. 


So, apparently Chicago particpates in deer season.  Who knew?  You might be a city red-neck if ..... you tie a deer to the bumper of your Expedition.  I was trying to follow this SUV through traffic to take a picture but I was not going to pay a toll to go the wrong way just to get a picture.  Then, at the last minute, the truck cut across all lanes of traffic to take the same tollway I was headed for and I was able to get this close up while we were stopped.  I am interpreting God's intervention on my behalf as confirmation that He is interested in the irrelevent observations provided on my blog. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update on how we can be praying for your kids. I had to comment on the deer picture. How funny! I remember one day when Robert had picked me up after teaching in Eagle. We were driving down Eagle Road and the car in front of us had a deer strapped to their trunk...it was a red four-door sedan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the pic of the car with the deer on the back....I was EXPECTING a picture of your car from AFTER you arrived home...but no pics of that huh? Loved the picture of your sister's cut out! Hilarious! What a creative thing to do!
    Love you@

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete