Thursday, August 28, 2008

my new home

okay, so i am probably breaking some rules of etiquette about how long a post can be. . . but i wanted to show where i live and work. if my blog is taking a long time to load just open it in one window while you are doing something else - it might take a minute since i like pictures so much. :-)


welcome to camp beechpoint! this is going to be our new dining hall. our current dining hall seats 100 and we have at least 150 each week. so lots of us eat outside which is tricky for the kitchen staff and when it rains. this new building will seat 350 and will also allow camp to host bigger retreats - which is one way we fund camper scholarships.

this is one of our firesides. it's next to the lake and one of my favorite places at camp because God's work is very visible in this context.
this is the waterfront. we have paddle boats, canoes, a pontoon, a speed boat for tubing, fishing, and swimming. definitely the best place to be cuz there's a breeze most days and you can get a tan! :-)

this was all the stuff that i moved across the country in my car. God totally went a head of my in this move and has provided furniture here that is more than sufficient. I was gratefully storing my boxes in my friend's garage when they LOST THEIR TARANTULA!!!!! i was not trying to unpack that in my new apt. so . . someone had told me that moth balls kept away spiders. it's not true, because at the end of the summer my stuff smelled like moth balls and had spider webs on it. (GOOD NEWS: they found the tarantula before i moved!)

this is my new roommate, elizabeth. we've worked together at camp for the last 5 summers. i have 2 other roommates from moody bible institute, so there are four of us.

welcome to my new home! look, i have curtains! they are my favorite part of my new home, actually, because they make it feel homey.

this is our kitchen. the bamboo is someone elses but when they take it back i am going to get us some of our own because i think it's a plant i could actually grow.
for now i work from home, so here's my office space. it' in the kitchen . . :-)

this is mine and elizabeth's room. we both like to "nest" so we had fun moving in. the bathroom was too small to take a picture of - but we have "getting ready spaces" in our rooms so it's all good.

settling in is going well, everything is still new. driving here is tricky cuz people are crazy and neighborhood streets are narrow. i went to a target where you put your cart on the escalator to go to the second floor. my neighborhood is very diverse. i learned how to get around on the bus and the train. i haven't gotten lost yet. i live next to a great park! i've been here for a full week and a day. i'm still busy with relocating details and am working at getting into my year-round role of connecting campers to churches and churches to camp. pray for open doors!






7 comments:

  1. Hey Megan,
    So great to see photos of your new place. I can't believe how nice the new dining hall looks! Your new home looks cozy and fun! I miss you! Love,Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    I love the photos, and it looks like you have a great start-up home in Chicago. Even if your bathroom is small, I am sure that Laura's bathroom and mine right now are smaller : )
    And you also have a great ability to show us pictures with your words, can just imagine taking the cart on the escalator at Target. Wow! I will be praying for the open doors. Laura and I would love to have them here in Africa as well!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, thanks for posting pictures, your home looks cute :) Thats really funny about the Target - I can't even imagine it! I'm glad things are going well so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you sent pictures. As many pictures as I've seen of camp NONE of them have been of the facility :). Your new home looks very cute and I'm glad you and Elizabeth are getting settled. We've been trying to find someone to play the new Settlers, Traders and Barbarians, we've had it for over a week and haven't played! I'm keep thinking if you were here we definitely would have had it done. I love you and do miss you very much!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Megan i love the pictures!! Camp looks beautiful and fun!! Oh and you house looks like fun too!! A little tight in the bedroom but you will make it work!! I finally figured out how to get to my work email from home and read your blogs! so i had to read everyone of them!! Your awesome and you are doing amazing things!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute place! It all looks so nice and homey. I could tell that was your room because of all the photos hanging on the wall. Oh, Megan. We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May God continue blessing you on your mission. Thank you again for your support at our "Bridging the Gap" fall session program. Take care and God Bless you.
    Rev. B.

    ReplyDelete