Thursday, October 8, 2009

The great thing about being single ....

The great thing about being single is that I don't have to get anyone to agree with me. I can just do whatever I want or decorate however I want or cook whatever I want ....

The terrible thing about being single is that there is no one to agree with me! And increasingly I am just not all that confident about what I want. Hence the following story:

This is my new dining room table, which I bought from craigslist .... twice. What had happened was I went by myself to go look at it. And I have never seen a tile table (although my friend assures me they are real common). But if I didn't find a table before the BIG MOVE then it would be ever more complicated and expensive because I wouldn't have my friends to help move it. And this table is really stable and comes with 4 chairs and the coolest bench. Only thing is .... it has TILE on the top.

But I needed a table. So the man agreed that I could give him $100 that day and then the rest when I came back with a friend and a truck to pick it up. Which I felt okay about right until I drove away and had a fresh realization that the table has TILE.

So I sat in a parking lot about 5 minutes away from the guy's house and then called him and asked (sheepishly) could I have my $100 dollars back and then see how I feel about the table later? Would you believe he said sure?!

And would you believe that the next day - after showing several people this picture and getting some agreement that it would work fine - I called the man back and bought his table. I would have felt vindicated, if he didn't have to spend half an hour helping us load it into the truck.

This is my friend Jessica driving her boss's truck to help me move.
I've always had my dad to help me move, a blessing I apparently took for granted. I've definitely seen less hopeful rigging jobs than the one done here, but
a) we didn't actually do this - the people I bought a couch from insisted that it would be in our best interest to borrow their bungee chords and got us set up
b) I've never actually tried hauling things using bungee chords. Apparently they are stronger than they looked.
Even though we got it done uneventfully, as we were driving down the road the conversation went something like this "Hmm. What do you do if the stuff falls out of the back of the truck? I mean, you can't just leave it all in the middle of the highway.... Huh." It would have been easier if it wasn't 11 pm by this point.

These friends helped me move into my new apartment. Mr. D (my boss), Kathy (a Chicagoland CEF missionary), Aaron (camp's program developer) and Daniel (summer waterfront director). We had to move my stuff down 3 flights of stairs from my previous landlord's attic where it was graciously allowed to stay for the summer and then up 3 more flights into my new apartment. They were troopers for sure - THANKS for helping me in such a big way!

My new apartment a one bedroom with a living room and a dining room - a special blessing since I will again be working from home and this will provide an area for office space.
I have no roommates, except for whatever this is. It greeted my the first time I tried to take a shower. Mercifully I have not seen any of it's friends in the past week.

You'll have to wait until next time to see pictures of my apartment because it is just too pitiful to be seen at the moment. I have a couch that is comfortable but an undefinable shade of green. Apparently my decorating ability does not reach beyond appreciating other people's success to creating my own. However, I did decorate my entry way (I have an entry way!!) with my Brazil and Papua New Guinea mission trip stuff.
SIDENOTE: IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO HANG THINGS IN PLASTER PLEASE REPLY TO THIS BLOG!!! Apparently I only know how to make HOLES in plaster.

Random Sidenote: I'm not much for skulls. But I think I would buy this for my daughter just because the skull has a bow. Kinda cute, don'tcha think? :-)

11 comments:

  1. Hello Megan, You are adapting quite well on your own. I am so proud of you. Please be safe and enjoy yourself. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, dear Megan,
    I love your moving story, sounds sort of like another daughter I know who had parents to help in the past, then found out for herself what moving from a third story was like! What a kick!
    And since I know that you have recently visited her blog, I see that you know the same kind of creatures like to befriend the two of you!

    Love you dear, but I don't think I'd buy the skull for my daughter, even if it does have a bow, but that is cute in its own way!

    Mom Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole post is awesome! I loved the pic of Mr D, Aaron, and Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bug you came across is Scutigera coleoptrata, a "house centipede." I know, I'm a nerd for knowing that...but I had to look it up for you.

    They like damp places, which is why that one was in your shower. Also, they eat spiders and bed bugs, so they're not all bad.

    Miss you! Glad you found a place!

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes i'm sure you'd love to hear someone agree with you other than yourself, especially when the two sides of you don't agree! I hadn't heard you rebought that table, i do remember him giving you your 100 back. sad that he helped you load it, maybe next time he'll write a more detailed description on craigslist like, all sales are final & transportation is immediate and solely buyers responsiblity! :-)

    if the couch falls off the back you pull over and make your way to the middle of the street...and then...well lay down for a min and feel powerful as cars move out of your way whilst you relax...and then hurry and drag it to the side before someone calls the cops on you!

    i think the bug needs a size comparison in the picture. like a pencil...or as you are probably exaggerating his severity, maybe a spec of pepper :-)

    skull is cute - no i don't want it for xmas - do you always walk through stores with your camera?

    Love ya sis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're finally in your new apartment! I have no idea how to hang stuff in plaster though, good luck with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really glad you found an apartment. It is always fun to move into some place new and rearrange things.
    Now the bugs I can do without. I have seen the same creature but donot know what it is called. Anyway I am prasing the Lord for your new home. I love you, Grandma Jan PS Autin is teaching in an alternative school in Meridian and having a ball. He is really good to teach those kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute wall. I am guessing that this is the only wall you have decorated because no one will agree with you. Or disagree with you. But remember how easy it was to decorate our cute apartment? Until we started hanging the pictures on the walls and I couldn't hit the nails with the little hooks on the backs of the frames? Oh and you just eyed it up and said 'oh yeah, that looks centered' and I had to pull out the tape measure so it was exactly centered? And where are your big spoon and fork? Because if you got rid of those to someone other than me, I'll cry into my cereal for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan your so FUNNY! Congratulations on your apartment and thank God you had helpers to help you move. Can't wait to see your new place. Oh yeah and um you have no kids so don't EVEN think about skulls. Its a no no Love you! Hilda B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Meg,

    I always love and enjoy reading your blogs. They make me laugh and smile and it starts my day off on a positive note.

    I don't know anything about hanging up things on plaster walls. Sorry!

    I do want to know where you saw the skull with bow shirt. I may just get one for Isabel. It's really cute!

    Love you,
    Fernanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok - a few things.
    1. i finally made it on the blog ;)
    2. your sister is funny
    3. i don't like skulls...even with bows
    4. if the couch fell off the truck it wouldn't be a big deal (unless, ya know, it crashed through someone's car but...) at least we know it wouldn't shatter. if the table fell off we'd be in trouble.
    5. love you. call me back

    ReplyDelete