Saturday, August 15, 2009

Picture Perfect Summer

I haven't blogged in weeks, perhaps months .... It was my intention to update everyone throughout the summer, but that proved to be unrealistic. We had 811 campers (a new record for us) and program from 7:30 am to 11 pm, so the days are full. :-) 120 campers made first time decisions for Christ and another 66 made recommitments! Praise God for all He has done!!

I am at the end of a 12 week stint: staff training, camp, and 2 weeks of hosting retreats. I am going to catch my breath, catch up on the shockingly large pile of paperwork awaiting me, and then head to Chicago. Please pray that I will find housing that is convenient, safe, and affordable.

One of my summer roles was "chapel media girl". So I collected everyone's photos every day to do a slide show at chapel. Some of the kids at camp do not routinely see themselves in pictures, so they love this opportunity. Also, they are incredibly loyal to their family and love seeing siblings, cousins, and "play cousins" on the big screen. By the end of the summer my computer didn't even have enough memory to say it's own name, so I've started the long process of deleting unnecessary photos. I've already deleted over 6,000! So there's plenty more pictures where these came from! :-)

Me, Tashonya, and Liz.... Tashonya is a camper who's family I was able to get to know this summer and she goes to my Michigan church. Liz was my roommate last year and is the newest full-time Beechpoint staff member.
Aaron at the field trip to the dairy farm. Each week I took 20 boys and girls to a dairy farm about 20 minutes from camp and gave a tour. Mostly, they think it's gross - smells gross, looks gross, feels gross, and "I ain't never drinkin' no milk again" is gross.
Since the last time I blogged I have had visitors! Nick and Beth Duffel came to see me and attend a preaching conference in Grand Rapids. Nick with Cheyenne.

Beth with Jireh. It was so encouraging to see them, to share the ministry of Beechpoint with them, to spend some time being together .... I just miss everyone so much!!!

Also, Lanae Linard and her friend Michael Shae came out for a week as teen volunteers. They worked hard and really got to see what camp is like! This is us at Giordanos - Chicago-style deep dish pizza - with LaJuana, another teen volunteer they met at camp. I loved sharing my new life with my Idaho friends!
Directions: Using one large, flat sheet of cardboard, one roll of duck tape, and a box cutter, assemble a cardboard boat large enough to hold campers. Points are awarded for design, number of campers in the boat before it sinks, and number of laps between docks the boat is able to do.
ALWAYS a lot of fun and great pictures.

Good thing there are points for design, because I feel like this boat is going to take on some water quickly. :-)
This is Danielle. We took the picture right before the bus left, when she said "I wish someone could keep me so I could stay here." Wow.
On Weds nights we had theme chapel. These girls are dresses as roosters, because the cleanest cabin wins the rooster award - and bragging rights for the day. Clearly these girls were going to make sure everyone knew they were the roosters! We also had "mustache Tuesdays" where everyone on campus got marker mustaches. Pretty sure I have a picture of me with my handlebar mustache somewhere ....

Riflery - one of many activities to keep kids busy during the day. Campers have 5 Bible times each day: morning devotions, Power Hour, chapel, fireside, and night devotions. In between those times they do activities with their cabin groups.

Horseback riding - all campers 11 and older participate in horseback riding.

If one more of these climbs out from anywhere, then I'ma quit this camp!!!

10 comments:

  1. Megan,
    I always love to read your postings and see the photos you share. You have been in our prayers, and we are so glad to see what God is doing. It will be great to hear how He answers the next housing arrangements prayer requests.

    Love you,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, you should have put your hand down by the spider so we had an idea of how big it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan, Your blogs are always so good. I love seeing the pictures and hearing about how God is working thur you and to you. We miss you too. As always in pray and love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. so because i can't see your blog while i write this comment i almost feel like i need to take notes! first of all, what's up with taking a pic at a 'chicago style deep dish pizza' place and have empty plates?! you go to the effort to tell us all about it and then you snap the shot before the food comes?

    that first cardboard box is one of the most successful ones i've seen you post this far - the others always seemed to have 1 puny kid in them that was basically swimming inside of a sinking box = those girls look like they could almost sunbath in comfort :-)

    i'm not sure about the whole rifle range thing - i can see bow and arrows as ok, but it seems like with as many guns and such that are (maybe) around them back home it's just not something to 'play' with - maybe that's just a bias uneducated me though :-)

    hummm...there was something else...darn- forgot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, i did go back and look and remember what i wanted to say and am re-posting - good news is that i also figured out how to see your post as i comment so this shant happen again! anyways, i was laughing at your spider pic and since he's just on a piece of wood i was thinking that he could really be like an 1/8 inch big and you just zooming close up on him...makin him all out to be something large and scary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Megan,
    Sounds and looks like you all had a splendid, blessed time.
    Incredible, incredible, incredible is the words that come in my mind!
    Jordyn and I are looking forward to attending Camp next year amdbeing part of these moments. You are doing a
    wonderful job in the Lord. And we are praying for you and specifically your upcoming move to Chicago. May God's will place you in a safe, affordable, beautiful place to live.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Finally a blog! Just kidding. Talked to Lanae about her trip there and she loved it. She is anxious to go to Mercy ships to with Laura. Another missionary in the making. So neat. Sounds like your summer was really great. I really feel for those kids. But they have people like you to show them there is a different way.
    I am so proud of you for what you do. Summer is ending here. It is 45 this morning. Oh, well had to happen sometime. Keep smiling. God bless you, Love, Grandma Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meg,

    You are utterly amazing! (No pun intended from your cow farm entry)

    I love your blog! Thanks for being here and for using your gifts to bless your Lord, to bless the children and to bless me!!!

    I love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan,
    I am quite certain the spiders (whom I might add are a splendid example of God's creation) are "feeling as though"... "Surely she can't be staying much longer. We have been evicted long enough. Perhaps we could assist her in finding a place to stay in Chicago so we can have ours back." Is this a good time to talk about this? LOL You are definitely a blessing to camp. Your investments are eternal ones. BIG HUG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, I made the blog! It was a real blessing seeing the camp for the first time and you for the first time in a long time.

    Also, the spider picture is amazing...it looks like a picture out of National Geographic or something.

    ReplyDelete