Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We are going to have a Black president!

(if you don't like that this plays music you can mute your speakers or scroll to the bottom and push pause / choose another song)

Wow! America has elected a Black president! What an incredible moment in history! Whether you agree with Obama's politics or not, this moment is a triumph for social justice! It doesn't heal every wound or negate current and real racial injustices, but it is a large step forward for racial equality. Imagine the story of that 106-year-old woman who attended a segregated school and now voted for a Black president! Wow!



I didn't go to Grant Park. We talked about it but frankly I don't trust large crowds and we wouldn't have been in the area where Obama was at all - just in another whole section to the park watching ABC NEWS. So we watched the news on the couch. But look, I took a picture of Obama elected president! Wow.

As I was sitting on my couch watching the election I heard gun shots outside - twice in an hour! It's still a little surreal to me sometimes that I live and work in the inner-city. But something about watching the election with gunshots as the background noise was REAL surreal!


This reporter was interviewing people in the hood and there was this guy with Obama hats, t-shirts, pictures, socks (!), water bottles, etc. and she said "there's a very entrepreneurial spirit here tonight". Yeah - that's there every day! That guy walks in between traffic selling popcorn and water and umbrellas and roses and whatever else fits his fancy . . . it's always an "entrepreneurial spirit" down here. :-)

Then she asked a guy how his life would be different now that Obama is president. He looked at the reporter and said "Obama is a president for everyone. Black people, Europeans, old people, whatever you is. . ." Now, admittedly it would have been tough to identify her ethnicity with confidence, but really? "whatever you is"?!?!?!?! FUNNY! That's why you don't be handing your mic to just anyone. HA! I was crackin up!

Look, my bangs are swooping like I want them to. (mostly) And my eyes are greenish, also like I want them to. Did I tell you that when I got my Illinois license the man asked what color my eyes were and so I asked him if they could be green. He was like "usually people don't ask me what color their eyes are, but sure - if you want them to be green they can be green". So, if you ever have to give my description to the police because I get snatched or something, remember: I think my eyes are green!


More pictures of Jireh. Actually, people say they want some pictures on my blog that include me since they don't know any of the "my" kids. So this is a picture that I was in. :-)

I got to braid Jireh's hair last weekend, but first I made 2 puffs just for the purpose of taking pictures. 2 puffs is my FAVORITE, even though they are super impractical. I hope someday I have a little girl who has 2 puffs. :-)


This is Kent and he has clearly been practicing pool more than I have. The rest of these pictures are from the Agape Community Center in the south side neighborhood of Roseland. The Agape Center is a ministry of Here's Life Inner City, which is a division of Campus Crusade for Christ. Visit www.hlicchicago.org to learn more. They have many outreach programs for all ages and groups, but the one that I get to participate with is called Say Y.E.S.!, an after school program for 1st - 8th graders that offers hope through Bible teaching, alternative and positive activity options, tutoring, a safe location, and relationships with adult Christians. The Agape Center sends many children to camp each summer, and as my schedule allows I get to volunteer!


This is Shaquan. Many of the children at the Agape center need specific help with homework - and some positive one-on-one interaction. Here's another way that God is using my time in Idaho - it's not like you can't tutor kids unless you have a teaching degree, but there are things about it that clearly help. I get to teach Bible lessons during camp sessions as well - teaching the Word is definitely one of my favorite things to do! The goal of this game was to get the correct answer to multiplication questions and then "earn" the most money. I lost.


Diamond came to camp this summer. She's supposed to be working but mostly she's hoping I will take her picture. :-)



This is MarKayle and Keuan. Keuan is 7 and he accepted Christ yesterday as his Savior! He told me that he decided to go to heaven and when I asked him why he would get to go there he said "because Jesus died and I believe it!" Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or imagine . . . to Him be the glory!



5 comments:

  1. Megan,

    I did wonder what you were up to last evening, there in Chicago! Must have been some party! Thanks for posting more of your "makin' a difference" story.

    Mom Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you got the comments to post after all, huh?

    OK--lengthy blog posts are just asking for lengthy comments. I have several! Yes, it is so awesome about Obama getting elected! I was wondering if you were there last night. That would be surreal to be hearing gunshots while watching his speech! Whoa.

    Megan, you make me laugh!!! I am still chuckling about how you asked the DMV guy if your eyes could be green! They look green to me.

    I love Jireh's 2 puffs. She is a doll! And now I know the game I'm going to challenge you on when you're here for Christmas: Billiards! That could be a new direction for us, huh? Lastly, now that I've "met" Diamond on your blog, I'm thinking I should have chosen that name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan,
    Thanks for sharing. As we have talked in the past, I am concerned about your safety but keep sharing what is happening so that I can continue to be specific in my prayers.You are in God's hand a very good place to be. We are living in a moment, you specific in a place, that will be wrote into history as one of the most decisive for this country. Just as the depression marked a generation, so will this election,the wars we are engaged in, and the upheavel in our economy.Megan I love you and miss you but I am so happy for you. Blessed is he(Megan) who follows God's leading. Man I'm wordy this morning see you at Christmas.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan!
    I loved your blogged thoughts...here's what made me laugh "Obama is a president for everyone. Black people, Europeans, old people, whatever you is. . ." Now, admittedly it would have been tough to identify her ethnicity with confidence, but really? "whatever you is"?!?!?!?! FUNNY!
    I can just hear you sayin that! Love the pics and love you!
    Oh, I love what your dad wrote too...what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg!!
    You are too cute! Thanks for sharing the great pictures of the kiddoes you are working with as well as your "election experience." It is great to see you in action.

    I could think of no one, besides you, that would ask for their eye color to be green, at the DMV of all places. You crack me up - as always! God has made you a “special” woman - lol. NO really I love your sense of humor its one of the many qualities I love about you. You are in my prays as you follow our LORD. CALL ME! I miss you

    ReplyDelete