Friday, September 26, 2008

Partners in Discipleship

so, it's been a little while since I have updated this. all is well in chicago. oh, just a comment: if you leave annonymous messages on my blog you need to sign them so i can know who loves me! :-) i've been driving for my job A LOT! pray for safety, a good sense of direction, and cheap gas! yesterday i found gas for $3.89 and it is $4.45 at the expressway in my neighborhood. i'm learning to stop for gas when i see it even if i don't need but $3 dollars to top off my tank. :-)
this is my friend iesha. she's been at camp for the past 2 summers and so far we have gotten to see each other every couple of weeks. we are about to start a Bible study together that i am really excited about. last week she introduced me to baba's flavored lemonades. when you come visit i will take you - it's good stuff! courtney and katy. . . i might even like it more than a sno cone.
partners in discipleship (PID) is the beechpoint-developed follow-up program that i am working to connect kids to. i am also working to strengthen partnerships with urban ministries and churches. i've had lots of opportunities to interact with child evangelism fellowship staff and teachers and will be visiting good news clubs to help those children come to camp. the kids i mentor in PID are jabari (12) and jabri (10). get used to seeing pictures of them! this is jabari.


jabri and jabari at the park. pray for jabri that she will work hard in school even when it is difficult. pray that she will continue to be excited about God. pray that jabari will continue to desire to learn about God and that God will give me wisdom as i teach him. pray that God will raise up Christian adults who want to mentor children in a one-on-one setting and that He will bring me into contacts for this purpose. pray that children from the city will be connected to camp in a long-term way and that camp will have a generational impact in the city.


i've decided that while i am driving around i am going to start taking pictures of churches because many of their names are interesting to me. i'm going to make a portfolio of interesting church fronts/signs as a way to keep myself from being frustrated with all this driving. if this church google's itself it may not be happy to find itself on my blog under "interesting" - but since it's my first "sword of the Spirit church" i took its picture.


okay, now this one is funny and you can tell them that i said so. this is the "golden angel missionary baptist church". i took this picture out of my backseat window while sitting at a red light because i don't really understand the sentence under the name. first, what is "that"? second, why are we asking if Jesus is bigger? third, this is why you have someone proof read. real funny.

4 comments:

  1. Meg, I love you and I'm so glad to hear that things are going well!! Also, I have always been fascinated by church signs and someday plan to spend a chunk of time devoted to taking pictures of them :) Have fun with your little project, and good luck with finding cheep gas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I can't express how much love I have for you being here with us in our lovely city of chicago. We need more people like you to come out and teach the good news about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Yep you'll find many churches with interesting names maybe one day when the husband has off I can take you around. Remember to pray for me as work with these kids for PID as well. Love you and I know I'll see you soon, Lord willing. Hilda B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...my...goodness!! Classic! I love your new collection of unusual names of churches. I feel I can chuckle 'cause my church has an unusual name of its own. Anyway, the names AND your comments, ALONG WITH the grammatical errors on signs, is just so awesome!! Thanks for the laugh.

    And I must come visit you so I can check out the flavored lemonade! Yum! Betcha I'll like it better than sno cones too! ;) Which is your favorite flavor?

    Thanks for being our biggest and most excited supporter of adoption. It truly warms the cockles of my heart that you are so excited for us!! Love you LOTS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete